Flint Hills Windmill and Pump Service LLC got its start in 1904 on South Main Street in Benton, KS. Windmills were sold out of the Lang and DeLong hardware store. In 1923 E.W. Moots and his brother, Harve, bought the store. They sold general hardware, Standard oil and gas, John Deere farm equipment and also owned the local grain elevator. E.W. and Harve sold and installed Aermotor Windmills throughout the area in the 1920s and 30s.
In 1980, the brothers sold the store to Charles “Chuck” Jones, who continued to operate the store as a “one stop shop” and sold everything from Aermotor Windmills to Zenith televisions. When the big box stores and lumberyards came to the area, Chuck closed the store in 1989. However, he realized the demand for windmills continued to be high. Chuck kept all of his windmill inventory and decided to change the name to Flint Hills Windmill and Pump Service. Chuck sold, installed and repaired thousands of windmills in the 35 years that he operated the business and was affectionately known locally as “the windmill man”.
In February 2014, Chuck was ready to pass the torch to the next generation of windmillers and sold the business to Tod Jones, who now owns and operates the current Flint Hills Windmill and Pump Service LLC. With a proud history, and big shoes to fill, Tod continues the tradition of selling and servicing America’s most popular windmill. Since purchasing Flint Hills Windmill & Pump Service LLC, Tod has expanded in the services offered; including pond aeration, pond sealing pond fountains, full service/installation on new and used well pump systems, residential sprinkler systems and solar pumping units. Added this year sewer line clean out and repair.